if you get the chance, take it. if it changes your life, let it.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

a perfect love.

Today I've been helping my Dad type old letters from my Grandpa Evans' missionary scrapbooks for a biography he is putting together.

It has been touching to read and type the gentle and loving letters my Grandpa sent to his family while he was on his 3 year mission to Uruguay in 1950, each showcasing his powerful testimony of the church and depicting a story of his adventures as a missionary.

I have been really interested by a certain set of letters that were sent between my Grandpa and his mother (my Great Grandma) during a time of trial in their family. Within 3 months both his father and his oldest brother passed away unexpectedly. These hand-written, smeared letters hold such a testimony of my Grandpa and his strength. His letters offer a comfort to his mother though he was thousands of miles away.

My Great Grandma's were the most moving, it was hard not to cry as I was typing the sweet words she said about her husband and the strength she demonstrated during such a trying time.

"Your father and I had a perfect love. We quarreled, we argued, we kidded, we laughed together but we had a perfect understanding. I thank my Father in Heaven for letting me have his son for over thirty years. Part of me died with Daddy. I feel like an empty shell moving around, but I know that I will live many years and Daddy is with me sustaining me and directing me. We loved him as he loves us and we will miss him terribly but he has gone to a greater work and he is still preparing for us just as he always did here." 

I didn't know my Great Grandma well, but I have come to know that she was an amazing wife and mother who raised an amazing son, who I am lucky enough to call Grandpa. 

my great grandma evans and my aunts and uncles. (my mom is the far left with the pigtails)

No comments:

Post a Comment